Child Abuse Recovery Journal

The new home of Suite101's Child Abuse & Recovery Feature Writer, Susan Maree Jeavons. Susan is a child abuse survivor who provides articles, commentary, poetry, support, and information on topics related to child abuse.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Christmas Poem For My Children


A Legacy of Love

At Christmas time we celebrate the birth of Christ our King,
with gifts in honor of his sweet name for friends and family.
But this year rather than a gift that you may forget one day,
I thought instead I’d pass along a gift from yesterday.
This present was not costly, but it’s a priceless gift you see,
an heirloom that I’ve treasured that was once passed down to me.
Now I give this gift in hopes that you will cherish it, and one day
pass it down to your children with just a note to say,

"This gift has come a long, long way and was handled with much love,
just like the gift God sent to us from heaven up above.
It is a symbol of the love that I have for family,
and I hope you know how much your love has always meant to me.
Merry Christmas my dear child, now handle this gift with care,
for the love I pass to you today is a love that is so rare.
Our mothers and grandmothers can never be replaced,
but with this gift I know their love for family can be traced."

I love you.
Mom
© Christmas 2005 Susan Maree Jeavons-All Rights Reserved

1 Comments:

  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Tery Lynne said…

    You are an amazing poet and writer! Kudos to you! Lovely poem:-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home