Child Abuse Recovery Journal

The new home of Suite101's Child Abuse & Recovery Feature Writer, Susan Maree Jeavons. Susan is a child abuse survivor who provides articles, commentary, poetry, support, and information on topics related to child abuse.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Courage In Patience

A life-long writer and self-described "agent for social change", Beth Fehlbaum, a survivor of sexual abuse, describes Courage in Patience as "all of our story." She draws on her own experiences as an English teacher in developing the lesson plan used by the character Beverly to teach her summer English class. With encouragement from author Chris Crutcher, Beth Fehlbaum weaves the important messages found in his novel, Ironman, into her own original story.


Accomplishments: M.Ed. in Reading; B.A. in English -emphasis Writing, minor in Secondary Education - emphasis Language Arts.
Who's Who Among American Teachers


This touching and inspiring story was written with teens in mind, but it is much more than a YA novel. The emotions and lessons will resonate with adults as well, and the manner in which the subject matter of sexual abuse is dealt with is equally appropriate for both a teen and an adult audience. The content is never graphic or disturbing, showing the emotional devastation caused by such abuse without going into great detail about the physical aspects of the sexual attacks. The themes of abuse, social injustice, racism, peer pressure, bullying, parental responsibility, fear, forgiveness, love, acceptance, and hope will strike a chord in the hearts of readers young and old alike.


Beth Fehlbaum, author, Courage in Patience
Kunati Books, ISBN # 978-1-60164-156-4
Available on Amazon and in bookstores, September,2008
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
http://www.bethfehlbaum.com
http://www.kunati.com

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was sexually abused when i was 13years old, by my adoptive dad. i caught him molesting my younger sister not long after, who was 9 at the time. I'm 20 now, and my adoptive parents won't let me see or speak to my sisters, because I reported my adoptive dad to the police. I haven't spoken to them in over a year. I don't know what to do from here... can you help me?

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Susan Maree Jeavons said…

    I admire you for reporting this to the police. Was anything done to your adoptive dad? If not, keep pestering the police to let them know that he is still abusing your sisters. Talk until they listen!

    I am so sorry that I did not see your post until now. You can find me on Facebook by searching for Susan Maree Jeavons or by checking out Dreamcatchers For Abused Children where I am a COMMITTED VOLUNTEER For DREAMCATCHERS.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Susan Maree Jeavons said…

    New email address:
    smjeavons@windstream.net

     

Post a Comment

<< Home